DAY FIVE – THE IMPORTANCE OF PROGRESSION & ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
5 | THE IMPORTANCE OF PROGRESSION & ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
It’s a natural attribute that talented people want to advance and look for progression. It also goes without saying that lack of opportunity for advancement and development still rates highly as a contributing factor to staff turnover. So, given that control of this lies directly within your hands as employers, why isn’t more being done to define structured and motivational career paths?
The importance individuals place on advancement and progression opportunities has taken a sharp rise in-line with the increased levels of uncertainty that have plagued the business world over the past years of economic instability. Whether businesses are now looking to expand their team or develop internally, offering advancement is crucial to both recruiting and retaining talent and this looks set to continue into 2017.
How To Deliver A Clear Path To Progression
- Build a layered organisation chart detailing clearly defined levels, roles, experience and competencies. You need a clear set of criteria in order to manage the advancement process effectively.
- Consider personality traits and behaviour as well as experience and skillset, you are looking to advance rounded candidates through your business so all areas are essential considerations.
- Offer employees the additional training & development support they require in order to progress within the company.
- Make time to review, it’s important that you are able to provide your employees with insight and feedback on their current position within the company and their opportunity to progress. Take time to review throughout the year which offers both sides the opportunity to discuss any areas effecting progression.
- Be transparent, with clear paths come motivated employees, focused employees and success driven employees.
Within an environment that welcomes progression, maintains momentum, fosters learning and drives development you’re contributing to the 360-degree welfare and future of your business, crucial to maintaining competitive advantage in 2017.
• Do you offer your employees a clear path to progression?
• How have you implemented this process internally?
• How has your organisation benefited from promoting advancement?